Monday, April 06, 2009

My Busy Weekend

I have been using an electrical extension cord to run my fish pond's pump for years now. I decided to run an underground circuit from the house to the pond. I dug a 1 foot deep ditch 60 feet long being careful to move the top layer off to one side of the ditch ( just cut the width with a spade and flipped it over). Then I dug out the remainder of the soil putting it on the other side of the ditch. After the wire was run, the loose soil went back in first, then the top layer was put back on top. Looks almost as good as new. Now I don't have to gather up the cord every time I want to mow.

At the same time all of this is going on, my neighbor was installing an underground wire on his property for his new dog's "invisible fence". So I had to help him off and on during the afternoon. I didn't mind, I like helping my neighbors. I makes me feel good that people find me "handy".

I did a lot of cooking this weekend. I marinated some chicken and grilled it Saturday evening. I tried my luck at making homemade marshmallows. It was a success! I can't wait for my grandchildren to try them.

Yesterday, I made a pot roast. I took a large cast iron dutch oven and browned the meat. Then I took it out and made gravy with the drippings. I placed the roast back into the pot, covered and put it into a 250 degree oven until it was just done. I cut up some potatoes and carrots and added to the pot for another 30 minutes of cooking. Yum, yum, good!

No comments: